Friday, April 3, 2015

Forgotten magic

When you've had a harsh reminder that magic doesn't always last in real life, the movies do not disappoint. If you think I'm about to opine about Paul Walker and Furious 7 on Good Friday, you are right.

There's no denying that the Fast and Furious franchise is big and bold. The soundtrack is my guilty pleasure, and I want the team to be as unbreakable as they seem. Of course, I cringed at the women used as accessories to cars, I rolled my eyes at the vocabulary, and I laughed out loud multiple times at the ludicrous scenes. And at Ludacris. The movie started out too loud, and I was anxious most of the time. From fighting scene to unbelievable car chase to fighting scene, I kept waiting for the moment when I would remember why this movie was delayed a year. Why not every actor in the movie would see the finished product. I kept waiting to see how they closed the loop of Paul Walker's character.

About a half-dozen times, the movie magic was obvious. But the rest of the time, I couldn't tell that Paul Walker's brothers stood in for many of the scenes. Honestly, it was like a trip back to 2001. The first Fast and Furious meant youth: laughing with old friends, driving my first car, cruising between Sonic and the junior high.

It was hard to say goodbye to all of that.

It's been a long day without you my friend/
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again

1 comment: